Photo By Mustapha GUNNOUNI at Shutterstock
If you have been living in your home for at least one summer, you know how hot it can get. An average summer day in Fort Worth, TX, can reach 98 degrees. When you add humidity into the mix, it can feel even hotter.
During the summer, you may prefer to spend more time indoors to escape the heat, and you rely greatly on your air conditioning system. The last thing you want to deal with is a complete air conditioning breakdown during the hottest time of the year. If your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly, your home won’t be cool and comfortable, and you will have no place to escape the heat.
The best way to prevent a complete breakdown is to recognize the early warning signs that there is an issue. The sooner you detect an issue, the sooner you can call an AC repair company to make the necessary repairs. Making the call as soon as the issue begins can prevent a minor issue from becoming a major one.
If the air conditioning system in your home is experiencing any of the issues below, you should call an AC company immediately.
#1 Warm Air Coming From the Vents
If your air conditioner is running and warm air is coming from the vents, it won’t be able to keep your home cool. Before you call an AC company, you should check the setting of the thermostat.
First, make sure the air conditioner is set to the cooling mode. If it isn’t, the system won’t produce cold air. Next, check the temperature setting on the thermostat. If the temperature in your home is cooler than the thermostat setting, the air conditioner won’t produce cold air.
If everything checks out with the thermostat, it is time to call an AC repair company. There are a few different issues that could be causing the problem, and it would take an HVAC tech at an AC company to figure out what is causing the problem. The potential issues include:
- The compressor isn’t functioning properly.
- The thermostat isn’t functioning properly.
- The refrigerant level is low.
The sooner you schedule an appointment with an AC repair company, the sooner cold air will be coming from the vents again.
#2 Reduced Airflow
If the airflow coming from the vents in your home is poor, it will be difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. There are several issues that can cause reduced airflow; therefore, you should leave the repairs to an HVAC professional at an AC company.
The common causes of reduced airflow include:
- Obstructed air ducts: Regardless of how clean you keep your home, dust, dirt, pet dander, and other debris can build up in the air ducts. Over the course of a year, up to five pounds of debris can build up in the air ducts, obstructing the airflow. The debris in the air ducts can also affect the air quality in your home. When debris has accumulated in the air ducts, it will circulate through the air your family breathes, which can cause allergy symptoms and respiratory issues. In addition, when the debris obstructs the airflow, your system will have to work harder to keep your home cool. This can cause your energy bills to increase, and the excess strain on your system can reduce its lifespan.
- Damaged air ducts: If there is a crack or a hole in the air ducts, the conditioned air will escape, resulting in reduced airflow. If the air ducts are crimped, the conditioned air will have trouble reaching the vents.
- Faulty blower: The blower in your air conditioning system is responsible for pushing conditioned air from the system through the air ducts and to the vents. If the blower isn’t functioning properly, the conditioned air won’t reach the vents.
Because reduced airflow can make it difficult to keep your Fort Worth, TX home cool and can affect your energy bills, your air conditioner, and your home’s air quality, you should call an AC repair company immediately.
#3 Thermostat Issues
The thermostat in your home is your HVAC system’s brain. The thermostat tells your system when to kick on and when to turn off. It also tells the system how warm or cool you want your home to be. If your thermostat isn’t working, your air conditioner won’t function properly either. There are a few issues to let you know that your thermostat isn’t functioning properly.
- The thermostat is unresponsive after the batteries have been changed.
- Your air conditioner won’t turn on.
- Your air conditioner continues running even after your home reaches the desired temperature.
If your thermostat isn’t functioning properly, you should call an AC company. If the HVAC tech determines that your thermostat is faulty, you should discuss your options. Thermostat technology has greatly improved over the years, and there are models available that can help save you money.
- Programmable thermostat: You can set a programmable thermostat to turn up or down at different times of the day. For example, you can set a particular temperature when everyone leaves for the day, and your home doesn’t need to be very cool. You can also program the thermostat to reduce the temperature on the thermostat so the home will be cool when your family arrives home. This can save a significant amount of money on your energy bills.
- Wi-Fi thermostat: You can control a Wi-Fi thermostat using your smartphone or tablet from anywhere in the world as long as there is a Wi-Fi connection. Being able to control your thermostat while you are away can save money on your energy bills.
- Smart thermostat: If you have a Google Nest or an Amazon Alexa, you can buy a thermostat that uses the platform to control the thermostat. You can use either voice commands or control the thermostat from the app. Being able to change the thermostat settings using the sound of your voice can save time and money on your energy bills.
When you call an AC repair company regarding your thermostat, they can discuss your options with you.
#4 Strange Smells When the AC Is Running
If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is functioning properly, it shouldn’t emit a smell. If you smell something strange, you should schedule an appointment with an AC repair company.
If you smell mold when the system is running, there could be mold in the air ducts, which would require an emergency call to an AC repair company. The air ducts are dark, and when it is humid, they can become damp, which is the perfect breeding ground for mold. Mold in the air ducts is a serious issue because when the system is running, the mold spores will circulate through the air you and your family breathe. Breathing in mold spores can cause allergy symptoms, respiratory issues, and a weakened immune system. If a family member has a chronic respiratory or lung issue, breathing in mold spores can worsen their condition. When you schedule an appointment with an AC company, the HVAC tech will inspect the air ducts for the presence of mold. If they find any, the tech can use an antimicrobial fogger to remove the mold and prevent future growth.
There could also be mold in the air conditioner itself, which is a serious issue. If the AC repair company cannot reach the mold, you may need to replace your existing system.
If you smell something burning when your air conditioner is running, you should turn off the system immediately and call an AC company. The smell signifies an electrical issue, and if you allow the system to continue running, the issue could cause an electrical fire.
It is best to call an AC repair company as soon as you smell something strange when your system is running.
#5 Strange Sounds When the Air Conditioner Is Running
If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is functioning properly, it should be quiet. The most you should hear is a quiet clicking sound when the system kicks on and off. If you hear anything other than the occasional clicking, you should schedule an appointment with an AC repair company. Banging, whining, or a constant clicking sound all signify an issue with your air conditioner. If you hear a high-pitched squealing sound, you should turn off the air conditioner immediately and call an AC repair company. The squealing sound signifies a significant build-up of pressure in the system, and it can be dangerous to use the air conditioner until it can be repaired by an AC repair company.
#6 Moisture Around the System
There should never be moisture around the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home. If you discover any moisture, you should call an AC repair company right away.
The moisture could be due to a broken or clogged condensate hose. Although this is a simple fix, it can cause major issues if the issue is ignored. The moisture can cause water damage in the area and can promote mold growth.
If there is liquid pooling around the air conditioner, there could be a Freon leak. Freon is a toxic substance, and without an adequate amount, your air conditioner won’t function properly. This is a serious issue and would require an emergency call to an AC repair company.
If you have a newer system, the AC repair company will simply repair the leak and refill the system with Freon.
If you have an older system, you could have a problem. Most older systems use R-22 Freon. The United States government has deemed R-22 refrigerant highly toxic and harmful to the environment. Because of this, the government began slowing down production a few years ago. In 2020, R-22 was banned in the United States, and it is no longer being produced.
If you have a refrigerant leak and have an old system, the AC repair company may not be able to find R-22 refrigerant to refill your system with. If they can’t, you will need to have your existing air conditioner replaced with a newer model that uses a different type of refrigerant.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Forth Worth?
If the air conditioner in your Fort Worth, TX home is acting up and you need to call an AC repair company, contact One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Fort Worth. We have been providing HVAC service to customers in the area since 1988. Thanks to the excellent service we provide, many of our regular customers have been loyal customers for as many as 20 years.
We understand that you want to trust the HVAC tech you allow into your home, which is why our techs must pass a background check, drug test, and register with the state of Texas before they are hired.
When you call our AC repair company, you can be sure our techs can handle the job. Our techs are highly trained, skilled, and NATE certified. We have been in the HVAC business long enough to know that HVAC technology is always improving. This is why our employees are required to receive ongoing training. We want our techs to know how to install and repair the newest HVAC models.
Your comfort is important to us, which is why we offer emergency service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have an issue with your air conditioning system outside of our regular business hours, we will do our best to get a tech to your home as quickly as they would if you had called during our regular business hours.
If you call our AC repair company and our tech lets you know that it is time to replace your existing system, our staff can help. We can give you information about programs that can help you save money on your new heating or cooling equipment.
To schedule an appointment for air conditioning repair or any other HVC service, give us at One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas a call today.