Photo By ozgurcankaya at istock
Summers in Plano, TX can be blisteringly hot. An average summer day can reach 95 degrees, which is why most people spend a lot of time in their air-conditioned homes. The last thing you want is for your air conditioner to break down when you need it the most; therefore, it is essential you can recognize the signs that your air conditioner is malfunctioning so you can schedule an appointment for AC repair. If you don’t make the call quickly, your home won’t be cool and comfortable. In addition, letting an issue go can end up causing more damage.
If you are experiencing any of the following issues in your Plano, TX home, you should call an AC repair service immediately.
#1 Warm Air Coming From the Vents
Warm air coming from the vents is one of the most obvious signs that you need AC repair because your home won’t cool down. Before you call an AC service, check the thermostat settings. First, the system needs to be set to cool for the air conditioner to kick on and produce cold air. Also, the setting on the thermostat needs to be set to a lower temperature than the temperature in your home.
If your thermostat is set correctly, call an AC service in Plano, TX. There are a few issues that could be causing the problem, and it would take the knowledge and experience of an HVAC tech to determine the cause of the problem.
- The compressor is failing.
- The refrigerant level is low.
- Your air conditioner has reached its maximum lifespan
When you call for AC repair service, the HVAC tech will inspect the system to find the cause of the problem and make the necessary repairs. If the system has reached its maximum lifespan, it is time to think about replacing it.
#2 Poor Airflow
If the airflow from the vents is poor, it will be difficult for your home to reach the desired temperature. To compensate for the poor airflow, the system will need to work harder to keep your home cool, which will increase your energy bill. Also, the excess strain can reduce the lifespan of your air conditioner. A few issues could be causing the problem, and you should call an AC repair service immediately.
- Clogged air ducts: If you don’t have your air ducts cleaned regularly, dust, dirt, and other debris can get built up inside, making it difficult for the air-conditioned air to pass. Also, when the system is running, the debris in the ducts will circulate throughout the home, affecting the air quality and causing your family members to develop allergy symptoms. An AC repair service can clean the debris from the air ducts, allowing the air to flow freely.
- Leaks or cracks in the air ducts: If there are any leaks or cracks in the air ducts, the air-conditioned air will escape, resulting in poor airflow coming from the vents. An AC repair service will inspect the ducts and make any repairs necessary.
- Broken blower: The blower is responsible for pushing the cold air through the ducts. If the blower isn’t functioning properly, the air cannot reach the vents properly. The HVAC tech from your local AC repair service will inspect the system to determine if the blower is malfunctioning.
#3 Strange Smells When the System Is Running
If you smell something foul in your home when the air conditioner in your Plano, TX home is running, you should schedule an appointment for AC service. The smell can give you an idea of where the smell is coming from.
- A moldy or musty smell: If you smell must or mold when the system is running, you could have mold in the air ducts. This is a serious issue because breathing in mold spores can be harmful to your health. This is especially true if someone in your home has a chronic respiratory issue. The tech from your local AC repair service will inspect the air ducts. If there are signs of mold, they will use an antimicrobial fogger to remove the mold and making sure it doesn’t return. There could also be mold in the unit, which needs to be eradicated as quickly as possible.
- A burning smell: If you smell something burning when your air conditioner is running, you should turn it off immediately and call an AC repair service. The smell is likely a short in the system or the wiring, resulting in a fire. An AC repair tech will inspect the system to determine what is causing the burning smell.
Any strange smell warrants a call to an AC repair service.
#4 Strange Sounds
Properly functioning air conditioners should be relatively silent. If the air conditioner in your Plano, TX home is functioning properly, you shouldn’t hear anything more than a quiet clicking sound when the system kicks on and off. If you hear any other sounds, you should call an AC repair service.
The sounds could mean several different things, such as loose or broken parts, an unbalanced fan, or a refrigerant leak. Because there are so many issues that cause many different sounds, you will need a licensed HVAC tech to find the cause.
If you hear high-pitched squealing, you should turn the system off immediately and schedule an appointment for AC repair. This is a sign that the pressure in the system is too high, which can be dangerous.
If you don’t call an AC repair service right away, the issue will get worse.
#5 Moisture Around the Unit
There should never be moisture or water pooling around your air conditioner in your Plano, TX home. If there is, you should schedule an appointment for AC repair immediately.
The issue could be a broken or clogged condensate hose, which is a relatively simple fix. However, if you don’t call an AC repair service immediately, the moisture can cause water damage and promote mold growth.
Pooling liquid around the unit is likely a refrigerant leak, which should be repaired immediately. Refrigerant is toxic, and you don’t want it leaking on the floor. Also, if there isn’t enough refrigerant in the system, it won’t cool your home down adequately.
It is best to schedule an appointment for AC service as soon as you discover the moisture.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Dallas?
If the air conditioner in your Plano, TX home isn’t functioning properly and you want to work with the best AC repair service around, give us a call. We have been serving customers in the area since 1988. Because of our excellent service, many of our customers have been loyal customers for over 20 years.
We have been in the HVAC business long enough to know that air conditioning issues can arise at any time, which is why we offer emergency service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
To schedule an appointment for AC repair or any other HVAC service, give us at One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas a call today.