7 Signs That You Should Call A Professional In Air Conditioning Repair | Dallas, TX
Photo By atakan at istock
Anyone who has spent a summer in Dallas, TX, knows how hot it can get. It is not uncommon for the temperature to reach 96 degrees on a summer day and 77 degrees on a summer night. When it gets this hot outside, it can get especially hot inside. The only way to stay comfortable in your Dallas, TX home is to keep your air conditioner running all day and night. If something happens to your air conditioner and it won’t keep your home cool, or it breaks down completely, it can be impossible to stay cool in your home. The best way to ensure that your air conditioner will continue functioning properly and will keep your home cool is to be able to recognize the signs that you should call for air conditioning repair. The sooner you make the call, the sooner your air conditioning system will be functioning properly again.
#1 The System Is Blowing Warm Air
The most obvious sign that it is time to call a professional in air conditioning repair is when there is warm air coming from the vents in your Dallas, TX home. Before you call a professional, you should check the thermostat. First, you want to make sure that the system is set to the cooling mode. If it isn’t, the system won’t kick out any cold air. You also want to check what the thermostat is set at. For example, if it is 80 degrees in your home and the system is set to 82 degrees, the air conditioner won’t kick on until it reaches 82 degrees in the house. It is essential that you check the thermostat before calling for air conditioning repair. The last thing you want is to spend the money on a service call, only to have the issue be a simple thermostat setting error.
If the thermostat is set correctly and there is still warm air coming from the vents, you should call a professional in repairs. There are a few issues that could be causing the problem.
- Low refrigerant level: The air conditioning system in your Dallas, TX home relies on refrigerant to keep the home cool. If the refrigerant level is low, your system won’t be able to kick out cold air.
- The outside unit lost power: If the outside unit loses power due to a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker, your indoor unit will still turn on, but the air coming from the vents will be warm. Before calling for air conditioner repair, you should check to make sure that the fuse isn’t blown or that a breaker hasn’t tripped. If everything looks alright, you will need to have your outdoor unit inspected by an HVAC tech.
- The outside unit is clogged: The indoor and outdoor units work together to keep your home cool. If the outdoor unit is clogged with dirt, leaves, or other debris, the system won’t work properly. If you clear all of the debris from the outdoor unit and the system is still blowing warm air, you will need to call a professional in air conditioning repair to have the system inspected and find the cause of the problem.
- Faulty compressor: If your air conditioner’s compressor isn’t functioning properly, it will be impossible for the unit to push out cold air. It is essential that you have the problem repaired by a professional in air conditioning repair. If you try to make it a DIY repair, you could end up causing more damage.
#2 The System Kicks On and Off Frequently
If you find that your air conditioner is kicking on and off frequently, the issue could be a faulty thermostat. The thermostat is your air conditioner’s brain, and if it isn’t functioning properly, it won’t be able to tell the system what you need it to do.
If you call for air conditioning repair and the HVAC tech finds that the thermostat is causing the problem, you will likely need to have the thermostat replaced. Before you have the HVAC tech replace your thermostat, you should consider the options available.
You can have a programmable thermostat installed that will allow you to schedule certain times of the day that you want the thermostat to change temperatures. For example, you can set the system to turn down while you are at work and nobody is at home. You can also set it to turn up before returning home, which will ensure your home is cool when you get there. Best of all, programmable thermostats will save you money on your monthly energy bills.
You can also go with a Smart thermostat that can be controlled from your Smartphone or tablet, as long as you have an internet connection. These thermostats allow you to turn your system on and off and change the temperature using your device from anywhere in the world.
#3 Poor Air Flow Coming From the Vents
If you aren’t getting adequate airflow from the vents, your Dallas, TX home won’t get as cool as you would like. This is an issue that needs to be repaired by a professional in air conditioning repair.
The problem could be something simple like dirt, debris, and pet dander built up inside the air ducts. When debris builds up, it can make it difficult for the air to flow from the vents properly. This issue can also cause poor air quality in the home.
The issue can also be with the air ducts themselves. If there are any leaks or cracks inside the air ducts, the air that is supposed to flow through the vent will escape through the crack or leak.
Until you call a professional in air conditioning repair, your home won’t get as cool as you would like it to.
#4 Strange Sounds Coming From the Air Conditioner
If your air conditioner is functioning properly, you shouldn’t hear anything more than a low-level humming. You might also hear a clicking sound when the system kicks on and off. If you hear strange sounds when the system is running, you should hire a professional in air conditioning repair. There are a few different sounds that you might hear, and each one signifies a different issue.
- Banging or rattling: If you hear a banging or rattling sound when the system is running, it likely means that there is an internal part that is loose or has broken free. This is a serious issue and needs to be checked by a professional in air conditioning repair immediately. It is best to turn the system off until it can be repaired to prevent further damage.
- Hissing: It is not uncommon to hear a hissing sound occasionally when the refrigerant works its way through the system. However, if you hear a constant hissing sound, you should call a professional in air conditioning repair. The problem is likely an internal valve leak, and if it goes ignored, it will get worse, and the hissing will start to sound like a horn.
- Humming: A humming sound signifies loose hardware within the compressor. You should shut the system off as soon as you hear the strange humming sound and call for air conditioning repair. If you allow the problem to persist or continue using the air conditioner while you wait for the HVAC tech, you will end up with a major issue requiring an expensive repair.
- Squealing: A loud squealing sound coming from the system signifies a broken or slipped fan belt. The issue could also be caused by bearings that have worn out.
You should never ignore any strange sounds coming from your air conditioning system. Any strange sound signifies a problem and should be repaired by a professional in air conditioning repair immediately.
#5 Strange Smells When Your Air Conditioner Is Running
When you turn your air conditioner on for the first time during the cooling season, it isn’t uncommon to smell dust. When the system isn’t in use, dust can build up, but it will burn off quickly. Within a few minutes, the smell will dissipate. If you smell a musty smell that continues while the system is running, you should call a professional in air conditioning repair immediately.
The problem could be due to mold and mildew build-up inside the air ducts. When this happens, it creates a moldy smell and can have a negative effect on the air quality in your home. Mold and mildew growth can cause your family to suffer from allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, and a stuffy nose. If a member of your family has any respiratory issues such as asthma or COPD, mold and mildew in the air ducts can put them at great risk. If the air ducts are clear, there could be mold or mildew growth inside the system itself. Because these issues can cause poor air quality, it is essential that you call a professional in air conditioning repair immediately.
If you smell a burning smell when your system is running, it could be due to an electrical issue. In this case, you should turn the system off until an HVAC tech can get to your home. Allowing it to continue running can cause major damage to the system and even cause an electrical fire.
#6 Moisture or Puddles Around the Air Conditioner
There should never be moisture or pooling water around your air conditioner. If there is, you should call a professional in air conditioning repair immediately.
The problem could be something simple like a clog in the hose that removes the condensation. The hose could also be cracked or disconnected. This is a simple fix, but you should call a professional immediately. If you allow the problem to persist, there is a risk for structural damage or mold growth.
If there is liquid puddling around the system, it could be a refrigerant leak. This is a very serious issue. First, if the refrigerant is leaking, you won’t have enough to keep your home cool. Also, the refrigerant is toxic. If you have pets or small children, allowing the problem to persist can be hazardous. It is best to call a professional in air conditioning repair as soon as you notice the problem.
#7 Your House Is Unusually Humid
The air conditioner in your Dallas, TX home is designed to do more than keep the temperature cool. It is also designed to remove the humidity from the home. If you notice that your home is more humid than usual, you should call a professional in air conditioning repair right away.
The problem could be an easy fix, like tuning up the system or having it recalibrated. The problem could also be that your system has reached its maximum lifespan, and it needs to be replaced. It would take the knowledge and experience of a licensed HVAC tech to determine the cause of the problem and the best course of action.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating Of Dallas?
If you are having any issues with your air conditioner, contact One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas. We have been serving residential and business customers in the area since 1988. Many of our current customers have been calling us for their air conditioning needs for over 20 years.
All of our HVAC techs are NATE certified, which should give you peace of mind that they will get the job done right. Our techs are also required to receive on-going training so they will be up-to-date on the newest HVAC technology.
We understand that air conditioning emergencies can arise at any time of the day or night. This is why we offer 24/7 emergency service. Summer is one of our busiest times of the year, but we will still do our best to get to your home as quickly as possible.
To schedule an appointment for air conditioning repair or any other HVAC service, give us a call today.