Photo By Lopolo at Shutterstock
The HVAC system in your Frisco, TX home is one of your home’s most essential systems. You rely on the air conditioner during the late spring and summer to keep your home cool, comfortable and to keep the humidity level down. During the late fall and winter, you rely on the heating system to keep your home warm and toasty. Issues with your HVAC system can make it challenging to stay comfortable during the summer and winter.
If your HVAC system is experiencing any of the following issues, it is best to call a heating and AC repair company right away.
#1 The Heater Isn’t Producing Warm Air
When you turn on the heater in your home, you expect to feel the heat coming from the vents. If the air feels cold, you may need to call a heating and AC repair company. Before you make the call, you should check the thermostat. Your HVAC system won’t produce warm air if it isn’t set correctly. First, make sure the thermostat is set to heating mode. Next, make sure the fan is set to auto. If it is set to on, it will continue to run between heating cycles, which will cause cool air to blow from the vents. Finally, the temperature in the house needs to be cooler than the thermostat setting for the heater to kick on.
If everything checks out, it is time to call a heating and AC repair company. Several issues can prevent the heater from producing warm air, and you will need an HVAC tech to determine the cause.
- Dirty filter: If the filter is dirty, it can restrict the airflow to the HVAC system, affecting the furnace’s ability to produce warm air and distribute it throughout your Frisco, TX home. Some HVAC systems have a safety feature that causes the system to shut down when the filter is clogged to prevent the burner from overheating.
- The high limit switch is failing: If your heater overheats often, it can damage the high limit switch. If this switch isn’t functioning correctly, the heater will think the system is overheating and won’t produce heat. Fortunately, a heating and AC repair company can replace the switch to get the system up and running again.
- Pilot light issues: The pilot needs to be lit for your furnace to produce warm air. If the pilot goes out frequently, you will need a heating and AC repair company to send a tech to figure out why the pilot keeps going out so they can resolve the problem.
- Burner issues: When dirt and grime clog the burner, the fuel won’t get through to provide consistent power. The heat won’t work, but the fan will, causing cold air coming from the vents.
- Flame sensor issues: The flame sensor is one of your HVAC system’s safety features. If it is old or dirty, the burner will keep shutting off, and the system won’t produce warm air.
You rely on your heater to keep your home warm and comfortable during the winter; therefore, it is best to call a heating and AC repair company right away. The sooner you make the call, the sooner the HVAC tech will have the heater up and running again, and your Frisco, TX home will be warm again.
#2 The Air Conditioner Isn’t Producing Cold Air
When it gets really hot outside, most people spend more time in their air-conditioned homes to escape the heat. If the air conditioner in your Frisco, TX home isn’t producing cold air, you may need to call a heating and AC repair company.
Before you make the call, you should check the thermostat setting. First, it should be set to the cooling mode, and the fan needs to be set to auto. Also, check the setting on the thermostat. It needs to be warmer in the house than the setting on the thermostat for the system to produce cold air.
If everything checks out, it is time to call a heating and AC repair company. A few issues can cause this problem, and you will need an HVAC to find the cause.
- Clogged or dirty filter: Issues with the filter will make it difficult for the air to flow freely. If the air conditioner isn’t getting enough air, it will shut down and won’t produce cold air.
- Frozen evaporator coil: The evaporator coil plays a significant role in keeping your house cool. The evaporator coils absorb the warm air from the home to begin the cooling process. If moisture forms on the coils, they will freeze and cannot do their job. Although you may be able to thaw the coils yourself, it is best to call a heating and AC repair company. Even if you can melt the coils, you will still need an HVAC professional to figure out why the coil is freezing, so the necessary repair can be made.
- Low refrigerant: Your air conditioner needs refrigerant to produce cold air. If the refrigerant level is low, the system will struggle to produce cold air. Fortunately, an HVAC tech can refill the refrigerant allowing the air conditioner to produce cold air.
- Refrigerant leak: A refrigerant lea will cause all the refrigerant to leak from the system, preventing it from turning on and keeping your home cool.
- Failing compressor: If the compressor is failing, your air conditioner won’t produce cold air. A heating and AC repair company can inspect the compressor to determine if the issue can be repaired or it needs to be replaced.
- No power to the outdoor unit: The indoor and outdoor units of your AC work together to keep your Frisco, TX home cool. If there is no power going to the outdoor unit, the indoor unit won’t work correctly.
Because you rely so much on your air conditioner during the summer, it is essential that you call a heating and AC repair company right away.
#3 Insufficient Airflow
When you stand in front of a vent when your HVAC system runs, you should feel a powerful rush of warm or cold air. If the airflow is insufficient, your heater or air conditioner will need to work overtime to keep your home comfortable. When the system works overtime, it will use more energy, causing your electric bills to increase. In addition, the extra work will put excess strain on your HVAC system, reducing its maximum lifespan. Because poor airflow causes so many problems, it is best to call a heating and AC repair company right away. A few issues can reduce the airflow, and you will need an HVAC tech to find the cause.
- Clogged air ducts: Dirt, dust, and other debris can clog the air ducts, obstructing the airflow. When the heater or air conditioner runs, the debris will circulate in the air, affecting your home’s air quality. An HVAC tech can clean the debris from the ducts, allowing for sufficient airflow and improving the air quality in your home.
- Damaged air ducts: If there is a leak or fracture in the air ducts, the heated or cool air will escape, resulting in restricted airflow. A heating and AC repair company can send a tech to inspect the air ducts and make the necessary repair.
- Faulty blower: Your heater and air conditioner have a blower designed to push the heated or cool air from the HVAC system, through the air ducts, and to the vents. The treated air won’t reach the vents if the blower is faulty.
Because insufficient airflow can cause costly issues or make the air in your home unsafe, it is best to call a heating and AC repair company right away.
#4 Strange Smells
When your heater or air conditioner runs, it should produce clean, odorless air. If there is a strange smell in your home when the HVAC system runs, you should call a heating and AC repair company. The smell in your home can help the HVAC tech find the source of the smell.
- Rotten eggs: This smell indicates a gas leak, which is dangerous. If you smell rotten eggs, you should turn off the heater right away, leave the house, and call 911 to prevent an explosion. When the fire department cuts the gas from your home and deems it safe, you need to call a heating and AC repair company. An HVAC tech will need to repair the leak before the gas can be restored. A gas leak can destroy your home and cause injury or death; therefore, you should make the call right away.
- Mold: A moldy or musty smell often indicates mold in the air ducts. The air ducts in your Frisco, TX, are dark, and mold growth can occur when moisture builds up in the ducts. When your HVAC system runs, mold spores will circulate in the air, putting your family’s health at risk. According to the CDC, breathing in mold can cause allergy symptoms, respiratory issues, skin rashes, and a weakened immune system, making it difficult for your boy to fight off infection. In addition, breathing in mold can worsen chronic or lung conditions and the symptoms.
The heating and AC repair company can send a tech to inspect the ducts for mold. If they find any, it can be eradicated with an antimicrobial fogger.
If the air ducts are mold-free, the mold could be in the air conditioner, which can be challenging to eliminate. If the mold cannot be eradicated, you will need to replace the air conditioner.
- Burning: A burning smell indicates an electrical issue that can spark an electrical fire, putting your home and family at risk. If you smell something burning, turn off the heater or air conditioner immediately, and call an HVAC repair company. Waiting to make the call can have catastrophic consequences.
#5 Faulty Thermostat
The thermostat on the wall in your Frisco, TX home is your HVAC system’s brain. It tells the system to produce warm or cold air and the desired temperature. If the thermostat isn’t working correctly, the HVAC system won’t either, and you may need to call a heating and AC repair company. Before you make the call, try changing the batteries. If this doesn’t work, it is time to call an HVAC professional.
If the tech determines the thermostat needs to be replaced, you should consider available options.
Thermostat technology has improved over the last decade, and you can install a thermostat that can save money on your energy bills.
- Programmable thermostats: You can program this thermostat to adjust the temperature throughout the day based on when you aren’t home or are asleep. You don’t need to have the heater or AC cranking during these times, and you can program it to adjust accordingly.
- Wi-Fi thermostats: This thermostat is great because you don’t have to be home to turn the HVAC system on or off or adjust the temperature. You can control the thermostat using your cell phone from anywhere in the world as long as there’s an internet connection.
- Smart thermostats: Smart thermostats work with Google Nest and Amazon Alexa. When you are home, you can control the thermostat using the sound of your voice, and you can use the smart device’s app to control the thermostat if you aren’t home.
Why Choose One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas?
If your heating or air conditioning system isn’t functioning correctly, and you want to work with the best heating and AC repair company around, call One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas. We are a full-service HVAC company, providing service to residential and commercial customers in the area since 1988, and many of our customers have been loyal customers since we first opened the doors.
Our HVAC techs are professionally trained and NATE certified and are required to receive ongoing training. HVAC technology is constantly evolving, and we want to be sure our tech can install, maintain and repair the latest HVAC models.
Your comfort is important to us, so we offer emergency service. We are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you have an emergent issue.
To schedule an appointment for a heater or air conditioning repair service, give us a call today.