When Should You Order A Duct Cleaning Service? | Lewisville, TX
When was the last time the air ducts in your Lewisville, TX, home were cleaned? It’s probably been longer than necessary. Unclean air ducts often hide health hazards, such as excess dirt, pollen, and other contaminants that may cause allergies flare-ups, amongst other symptoms, in residents.
Some contaminants can pass through filters fine. But then they can stick to duct walls, get caught in grills, or simply accumulate in a spot with less airflow. To avoid or remove a build-up of allergens within your home’s ductwork, a duct cleaning service is the solution you need.
Is there a perfect timescale for a regular duct cleaning?
For many residential properties, it can be fine to go between 2 and 4 years between booking an air duct cleaning service. In larger, busier commercial buildings, HVAC systems and ductwork should be inspected and cleaned more regularly, often yearly.
The truth is your home’s ductwork should be cleaned any time that your HVAC system is not working properly, if there are strange odors present, or a foreign object obstructing airflow throughout your home. The HVAC Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Association, NADCA, advises there are many reasons to clean air ducts. They also advise numerous factors can effectively increase the frequency of necessary cleaning and detail a variety of opportunities when duct cleaning is prudent. For example, moving into a new Lewisville, TX home is a prime opportunity to book an air duct cleaning service, since you don’t know the condition and maintenance history of the air ducts.
Which homes benefit most from a regular air duct cleaning?
- Homes with pet residents. Chances are, if you’ve got a furry pet that calls your house a home, you’ll already be familiar with the need to regulate pet hair and dander through regular cleaning of furnishings and pet grooming. One place you might not have thought about pet fluff and dander accumulating is within your home’s ducts. Especially since most ductwork is out of sight and out of mind on a regular basis.
- Homes with asthmatic residents or allergy sufferers. Whether it’s dust, pollen, or some other allergen that plagues yourself or your loved ones, it’s a good idea to clean the air ducts on a semi-regular basis to prevent the continual resurgence or build-up of irritants.
- Homes with indoor smoking residents. For multiple reasons, smoking in closed areas is not recommended. If smoking outside is not always a viable solution and smoking indoors at home is a regular occurrence then a well-ventilated home is ideal. To achieve this, a more regular duct cleaning service routine may be preferable to ensure home ventilation remains optimal.
- Cluttered homes. In cluttered homes, it can be hard to keep on top of cleaning every nook and cranny. Areas left untouched can accumulate dust which may find itself inside ductwork.
- Homes damaged by fire, water, or other disasters. If your home has unfortunately been damaged by fire, flood, or other natural disasters recently, book an air duct cleaning service after repairs are complete. Even if the air ducts weren’t directly affected, airborne particles from damaged areas will likely have made their way into your home’s ductwork.
- Recently built or renovated homes. For the same reason as above, air duct cleaning is recommended after renovations or other building work has been completed. Cleaning interior ductwork can help to ensure debris and dust from construction work is removed promptly. Even if contractors close up areas under renovation and undertake appropriate cleaning practices, unless the HVAC system is off and covered up during the entire duration of work, it’s likely that unwanted debris has found its way in.
Signs a Duct Cleaning Will Benefit Your Home
- Dust and debris are clogging vents and ducts.
If a dust cloud expels from a duct when the HVAC system turns on, your ductwork will benefit from a good air duct cleaning service. Under normal conditions, you should not see any visible debris. When HVAC systems are switched on, particularly after a long period of inactivity, air flows through the ducts. If dust has settled in your home’s ducts, it’s usually clearly visible during the initial cycle when it first gets disturbed.
- Air filters are blocking up quickly.
Air filters should be cleaned and replaced somewhat regularly. However, if you find that after just a few days your filters are becoming clogged, it’s an indication that the air ducts need to be checked. Filters are designed to trap pollen, dust, pet dander, and debris, particularly during the summer. But air filters that clog quickly can indicate a far wider issue that needs investigation.
- Ducts emit an unpleasant odor.
Odor is another sign that your ventilation system may be clogged. You should have it cleaned regularly. You may notice an unpleasant odor in your home if you can’t locate the source. To confirm your suspicions, you should inspect all air registers. A technician can inspect the air ducts to determine if there is any odor.
- You notice mold and mildew in or around your HVAC.
Mold can have serious consequences for your health, as can dust. Both can not only cause allergies and other respiratory problems but they also spread quickly throughout the home via air duct systems. Mold can be found around air conditioner units and vent covers. If noticed, it is important to act quickly.
- There is poor or unstable airflow inside the house.
You can easily tell if you need air duct cleaning service if you notice inconsistent airflow, e.g. between the bedroom and bathroom. Because vents provide consistent airflow, indoor airflow should be the same regardless of location. If you find that the indoor airflow is not consistent, contact a technician to ensure that all vents are clean.
- Rodents, insects, or other infestations are discovered.
After an infestation has been discovered, and removed from your home, an air duct cleaning service can help remove allergens and any disease-causing microbes left behind by the unwanted pests.
If you think your Lewisville, TX home needs a duct cleaning service, contact the professionals at One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas who serve the entire DFW area.