Photo By selvanegra at istock
There’s quite a lot of discussion over whether duct cleaning services are a necessary part of home maintenance. While some homeowners may notice that their allergies and respiratory conditions appear to improve with regular duct cleaning, some experts claim that it may not necessarily be useful. It really depends on the situation and the types of contaminants that are present in your home and in your living environment.
In this article, we’ll look at some of the most common types of contaminants that you would usually find in your ducts. These crevices are hard-to-reach, so they’re great places for a lot of microbes to thrive. Unless the homeowner gets their ducts cleaned regularly, these microbes can live within the ducts for quite some time.
Dust can come from a lot of different sources. 50% of dust comes from dead skin cells, and the rest comes from the environment, like animal hairs, textile fibers, paper fibers, and even minerals that are found in the soil outside. Unfortunately, a lot of the dust will accumulate inside your ducts, and unless you get a duct cleaning service to come to your home, the dust will continue to remain inside the ducts. It’ll also spread when the air circulates; thus, decreasing the air quality indoors.
Too much dust can lead to the development of health conditions and problems. For example, some people become allergic to dust. Fortunately, it’s easy to get rid of dust in the ducts with a duct cleaning service. Once the duct cleaning service has done its job, the ducts will look like new again. You don’t have to just rely on a duct cleaning service. There are plenty of things that you can do to reduce the amount of dust that is inside your home. For example, you can consider:
- Installing an air filter. A pleated air filter or a HEPA air filter will be able to easily control dust levels in your home. You’ll need to make sure that you replace the filters often depending on how quickly they get dirty. This will depend on the activity levels in your home, as well as where you live. Some climates are naturally dustier than others.
- Vacuuming more often. Try to vacuum at least twice a week. You’ll be able to notice a huge difference in dust levels in your home. If there’s less dust in your home, there will also be less dust in your ducts.
- Recycling the magazines and books in your home. Magazines, newspapers, and books will degrade with time, and the paper fibers will become dust. To reduce the amount of dust that’s in your home, get rid of your books, magazines, and newspapers.
By reducing the amount of dust that’s in your home, you’ll also be able to rely on duct cleaning services in Frisco, TX less frequently.
#2. Mold Spores
Another common contaminant that a duct cleaning service in Frisco, TX will be able to get rid of is mold spores. Mold spores will easily grow and develop into visible mold, which can be extremely damaging to your respiratory system. It’s particularly problematic for those who struggle with autoimmune disorders and respiratory disorders, like asthma. Even just a little bit of mold can irritate the lung. In some worst-case scenarios, the mold can become a large-scale health danger.
Types of Mold Spores
There are a lot of different types of mold spores. Some mold spores are more dangerous than others, so you’ll need to be extra careful if you notice any mold forming near or inside your ducts. You should call a duct cleaning service in Frisco, TX immediately to get rid of the spores; otherwise, the mold can spread and become a health hazard to everyone living in the home.
In general, mold will usually grow in dark and damp places. They’ll also thrive in areas with lower temperatures as well. Some of the most common types of mold that can invade your ducts include:
- Acremonium. This is a very toxic mold that grows rather quickly. This type of mold is white in appearance and quite powdery. This type of mold affects those who are immunocompromised the most and will usually increase their risk of infections. Localized infections become a lot more common after the skin is penetrated. It also increases the risk of eye infections.
- Aspergillus. This is one of the hardest types of mold to identify because they come in a variety of shapes and colors. There are different types of Aspergillus mold. Aspergillus carbonarius, for example, produces ochratoxin A, which is a dangerous mycotoxin.
- Trichoderma. This type of mold is commonly found in air vents because it loves environments that are constantly wet or moist. This type of mold is extremely difficult to get rid of.
It’s important to note that mold spores are difficult to identify. In most situations, homeowners will only notice the mold when it’s grown out of control. The best way to prevent the mold from growing out of control is to get a duct cleaning service to come to your home regularly.
#3. Dust Mites
Where you find dust is where you’ll also often find dust mites. Dust mites are microscopic, insect-like pests that can easily trigger allergy reactions, especially amongst those who struggle with asthma. These mites often feed on dead human skin cells, which, as we mentioned above, make up 50% of the dust. One of the main things that a duct cleaning service is able to do is to get rid of dust mites as well, so they do not become an allergen to those residing inside the home in Frisco, TX.
A dust mite allergy can range from severe to mild. In mild cases, those who are allergic may simply start sneezing a lot more often or they may get a runny nose. The problem is that those with a severe allergy to dust mites will experience persistent sneezing, a severe asthma attack, or facial pressure.
Other than relying on a dust cleaning service, there are also other things that you can do to eliminate dust mites. Some of these things include:
- Reducing the humidity in the home. In general, it’s best to keep the humidity below 50%. You might even want to install a dehumidifier or turn on the air conditioning.
- Dust regularly. Other than getting a dust cleaning service to come to your home, you can also do your job by dusting your home regularly. Vacuum more frequently or use a cloth or a duster to get rid of dust that you see on table surfaces or on windowsills. It’ll make a huge difference.
Fortunately, dust mites are fairly easy to get rid of. A duct cleaning service will be able to get rid of most of the dust mites in your ducts.
Hay fever is perhaps one of the most common allergies that most people suffer from. Pollen is a very common allergen, and it can easily get into your ducts and circulate inside your home; thus, triggering allergy reactions. Those who are concerned about pollen allergen will usually want to schedule the duct cleaning service sometime in the spring. If you know what type of pollen you’re allergic to, you might even be able to narrow down when cleaning will be most effective at alleviating your allergy symptoms.
Another way to reduce the amount of pollen that circulates in the air indoors is to install an effective air filter. Some air filters are better at filtering pollen out than others, so speak with an HVAC technician to get a better idea of what may be best suited for your home.
Although insects may not necessarily be a problem to your health, they are something that you definitely don’t want living in your ducts, especially for prolonged periods of time. Feces from the insects can also easily circulate in the air when you turn on the HVAC system.
A thorough duct cleaning service will get rid of any insects that are in your home. These pests can chew on the inner parts of the HVAC system and wreak havoc. Others might build a nest there, and you’ll later find yourself dealing with a problematic insect infestation. Some of the most common insects that can be found inside ducts include:
- Cockroaches. It is surprisingly easy for cockroaches to make their way into various parts of your home. They can enter an area as long as there is a small crack, and they love the ducts because it’s dark and cool. The good news is that cockroaches won’t do a lot of damage to your ducts. The best news is that these insects carry diseases and are very hard to exterminate. They multiply like crazy.
- Spiders. It’s also easy for spiders to wiggle their way into the ducts. They can easily get into the ducts and make webs. The good news is that most spiders live solitary lives, so you won’t really have to worry about an infestation. The bad news is that some spiders can be quite venomous and dangerous to humans.
The duct cleaning service will be able to provide you with more information regarding the types of insects that are commonly found in your area. If they do find signs of an insect infestation, they’ll also provide you with some information on what you can do or who you can call to ensure that the problem doesn’t become worse. They’ll also be able to patch up the cracks, so other insects won’t be able to enter the ducts in the future.
#6. Other Pests
Last but not least, a duct cleaning service will check to make sure that there aren’t any other pests that may be living inside your ducts. Some of the most common pests that homeowners may find inside their ducts include rodents, like mice and squirrels. In some cases, you’ll know that there are pests living inside your ducts without the help of an HVAC professional because you’ll be able to hear the pitter-patter of their feet.
In addition to the health concerns that come with having these pests living in your ducts, these pests will also often damage your HVAC network by chewing on various parts and components. They can cause quite a lot of damage and mess in a relatively short period of time. The HVAC company will be able to not only get rid of the pests but also find out where they’re entering your ducts from. If there’s an opening, you can best believe that air is escaping from there as well, so your HVAC system is actually using up a lot of energy to get your home to the right temperature.
Call Us for Duct Cleaning Service in Frisco, TX
Whether you want to get regular duct cleaning services for your home is up to you. If you struggle with respiratory conditions or allergies, it may be a good idea to call an HVAC company for duct cleaning services every several years. You’ll really need to speak with a licensed technician to get a better idea of what may be most suited for your home. For example, if mold is a problem at your residence, it might be a good idea to get duct cleaning services more frequently.
One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas can provide you with the HVAC services that you need. Our technicians are licensed and insured. They also have a lot of experience in dealing with all types of HVAC problems and can help you figure out a solution that works for both your budget and your needs.
For more information on the types of HVAC services that we offer, call us at 682-269-2786 or contact us online. Our technicians are available all hours of the day and can even provide emergency HVAC services. They’ll be more than happy to provide you with a consultation or more information about the types of HVAC services that your home needs.