Photo By Globalphotogroup at Shutterstock
Winter temperatures in Richardson, TX, could drop to negative zero degrees. You need an efficient furnace to stay safe and comfortable in this freezing weather. When your furnace breaks down, your home will be very uncomfortable and cold. You can avoid calling a technician for an emergency heating and AC repair service in the middle of winter when you make sure that your furnace is ready to combat the cold weather. How will you do this? Read this to learn helpful tips on improving the efficiency of your furnace.
This article talks about important things you need to know about your furnace, such as how to properly maintain it, how to determine that your heating system may be in trouble, and whether or not you should invest in an electric or a gas furnace.
If you have other concerns, feel free to contact an emergency heating and AC service technician near you.
Reasons Your Furnace Keeps Acting up
It can be stressful when the temperatures start dropping, and you’re having issues with your furnace. Imagine how uncomfortable it would be when it’s freezing, and the furnace suddenly shuts down. You need to call a technician immediately for an emergency repair service. Otherwise, you’ll have a freezing home.
Why does your furnace break down all the time? Below are the reasons why you keep calling an emergency heating and AC repair service:
Clogged filters – If you don’t change your furnace every two or three months, it’s likely clogged. This will result in your unit overheating and tripping its limit switch, therefore shutting it down. Don’t forget to clean and replace your air filters if you want to avoid calling an emergency repair service technician in your area
Dirty burners – You’ll have a problem if the burners in your furnace are covered with dust and dirt. It will likely not stay lit, and your furnace will shut down when the burners go out. Call an emergency repair service technician as cleaning the burners will need the services of a professional.
Thermostat issues – If you have been away for a week or more and have not been recently using the thermostat, you might not know that your device is malfunctioning and not giving you correct temperature readings. When the thermostat records higher than the actual temperatures, then your furnace will likely shut down. Contact an emergency repair service technician in your area right away so they can help you fix the problem.
If you’re having other problems with your thermostat, please get in touch with a technician and don’t attempt to fix it on your own. You may damage the other components of your AC and end up calling for a more expensive emergency heating and AC repair service.
Thankfully, you can avoid problems with the furnace when you don’t ignore the warning signs. Below are some subtle signs that your furnace might be in trouble. When you notice them, ensure that you contact a technician right away to avoid a more costly emergency heating and AC repair service.
Clicking – Clicking sounds coming from the furnace is usually the igniter turning the burner on. You shouldn’t worry about this unless the clicking sounds are louder than usual. That may be stuck gas valves, or the ignition system might be failing. It may also be an electrical concern or issues with the heat exchanger. Nevertheless, you need to call an emergency repair service technician in your area for a thorough inspection of your unit. A licensed technician can perform diagnostic tests to help them determine if you should worry about it.
Rattling – Do you hear rattling sounds coming from your furnace? You don’t need to call an emergency heating and AC repair service technician in Richardson, TX, right away. First, check whether or not the front panel is loose. If it’s secure, there could be a problem with the other components of your furnace. Don’t wait until your furnace shuts down, or you might end up paying for a more costly emergency heating and AC repair service. If your furnace is beyond repair, you may have to get a new replacement, which will cost you more money. You can avoid this problem when you get help immediately.
Metal clanging sound – This is likely due to the blower assembly. A fan blade may either be loose or bent. To prevent further damage to your heating system, turn off the unit immediately and contact a licensed technician for emergency heating and AC repair service.
Grinding – When you hear these sounds, contact a licensed technician right away. You need emergency heating and AC repair service as the motor may be burning out. If you don’t get help, your furnace will shut down. So to avoid issues with your heating system, get help asap.
How to Save Money on Your Heating System
Do you want to save money on your furnace? Below are our helpful tips:
- Change the HVAC filters – Homeowners are recommended to change their filters every two to three months or as necessary. Also, make sure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions to clean or replace your air filters. For special filters, you may need to call an emergency heating and AC repair service technician in Richardson, TX, for assistance. Cleaning and replacing your air filters is simple and quick to do. Consistently doing this can improve the efficiency of your HVAC system. It can also avoid costly emergency heating and AC repair service.
- Get an annual tune-up – Like all your appliances and electronic devices, you need to properly maintain your furnace, so they don’t shut down in the middle of a freezing winter. Call an emergency repair service technician in your area for an HVAC tune-up at least a month before winter. During the service call, your technician will thoroughly inspect your system, perform diagnostic tests, and resolve whatever problem he finds. He may also lubricate the motors, clean the components of your system, check the gas lines and the refrigerant pressure. Expect a more efficient AC when you call an emergency repair service technician in your area for a regular tune-up of your furnace.
- Block air leaks – Do you know that gaps around your doors and windows also contribute to energy waste. Heated air can also escape to your roof. When air leaks, your HVAC system may work harder, leading to higher energy bills every month. You can avoid higher utility bills and call an emergency heating and AC repair technician in Richardson, TX, for repairs when you seal and close any gaps. Call a professional if you think you need assistance in ensuring no air leaks in your roof, windows, and doors.
- Properly insulate your home – You can save about 20 percent of energy when your home is properly insulated. You can opt for fiberglass or blown-in insulation or call a professional for help. Apart from insulation, you need to make sure that there are no leaks in the ductwork. Leaks or contamination in the air ducts can lead to several problems in your unit and your indoor air quality. To avoid calling an emergency heating and AC repair service technician in Richardson, TX, ensure that your home has proper insulation and the ductwork is completely sealed.
- Call a licensed technician for repairs – Please don’t hire an unqualified person to help you fix issues with your furnace. You may end up paying for more repairs, or an inexperienced handyman may end up damaging your system. Instead, call us if you need help; our licensed technicians are highly experienced and can tackle any problems with your furnace.
Knowing When to Replace
Furnaces can last between 15 to 20 years. The exact number of years depends on whether or not it’s well maintained. If your furnace is over 15 years old and you keep calling an emergency heating and AC repair service technician for repairs, it may be more cost-effective to get a new one. For a replacement, opt for an energy-efficient furnace to save more money. Should you decide to get a new one, please always call professional installers. Some issues with your furnace are due to improper installation of the unit. To avoid issues down the road, work with a licensed technician only.
We also suggest that you never ignore issues with your heating system. If you suspect that there might be a problem, contact a technician asap for emergency heating and AC repair service. You might end up with an uncomfortable home during winter when you don’t care for your furnace.
Furnace Size Is Important
Are you planning to get a replacement furnace? Then make sure that the unit you purchase is sized to the heating needs of your home. An undersized furnace won’t effectively heat your home, and you’ll be wasting power when you buy a large furnace to heat a smaller space. If you need assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
Electric Furnaces vs Gas Furnaces
Some homeowners can’t decide whether they should get electric furnaces or gas furnaces. An electric furnace doesn’t create carbon monoxide, a toxic byproduct of incomplete combustion. Do you think it’s a safer option just because it doesn’t create carbon monoxide?
The only reason why most homeowners think an electric furnace is the safer option is that it doesn’t create carbon monoxide. CO is dangerous, and homes that use gas-powered appliances must have carbon monoxide detectors to alarm them that there is a high concentration of CO in their homes. This situation calls for an emergency heating and AC repair service. As soon as you hear the alarm, turn off the gas furnace and open all your windows for proper ventilation. Then go outside while waiting for the emergency heating and AC repair service technician to arrive.
Saying that gas furnaces are more dangerous than electrical furnaces is also not correct. It makes it sound like it’s too risky to install gas furnaces in your home. While they create carbon monoxide, they do have advantages. Also, gas furnaces do have safety features that prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Your home is safe so long as you know how to use the furnace and you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Is the electric furnace better?
While an electric furnace present may pose less risk because it can’t create carbon monoxide, it doesn’t mean that it’s the safest choice. It can also lead to calling a technician for emergency heating and AC repair service if you attempt to tamper with your electric furnace. If you’re not careful or you misuse it, that could also result in a voltage shock. There might also be a possibility of electrical fires if you’re not careful with your unit.
Homeowners concerned about carbon monoxide may opt for the electric furnace or have safety precautions at home. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact our emergency heating and AC repair service technicians for assistance. We are not only skilled but also highly knowledgeable about the different types of furnaces. If you’re planning to get a replacement, we can help you choose a furnace suitable for your home.
You need emergency heating and AC repair service in Richardson, TX when your furnace suddenly shuts down and won’t turn on. Call us asap, and we are more than happy to help. One Hour Air Conditioning provides a wide range of heating and cooling services to homeowners and businesses. We operate 24/7 to ensure you get the service that you need. Contact us today for an appointment.