Photo By Kelly Marken at Shutterstock
One of the most popular home improvement projects is air conditioner installation. While it can be a bit daunting for some homeowners, the process can be smooth and worry-free with a little preparation and help from a qualified professional. Here is what you need to know about air conditioner installation in Irving, TX.
Choosing the Right Unit For Your Home
The most important part of the installation process is choosing the suitable unit for your home. Some of the factors to consider when choosing an air conditioner include:
Know your budget – Air conditioners and air conditioner installation can be expensive, so having a budget in place before you shop is crucial.
Sizing – Air conditioners come in many different sizes, and cooling capacity ranges from as small as five tons of cooling power to more than 25 tons. Your air conditioning contractor will know the best size unit for your home based on factors like square footage and insulation levels. You may also want to consider purchasing an energy-efficient model since these units typically cost less each month on energy bills than older models that use more electricity.
Temperature range needs – If you live in an area where temperatures get extremely hot during the summer months, you should purchase a split system or multi-stage air conditioner equipped with multiple temperature settings options for greater comfort.
Window or wall unit – If you have a large enough window to accommodate an air conditioner, you may want to choose a window unit. However, if your home does not have many windows or is too small for an air conditioner, you will need to install a wall unit.
Be sure to consult with a qualified professional to determine the size and type of air conditioner that will be best suited for your needs.
Air Conditioner Installation Location
Once you have chosen the right air conditioner for your home, it is time to decide on the installation location. The most common places to get an air conditioner installation are in:
Windows – Window units can be installed in most standard-sized windows. There are two types of window units: through-the-wall and room air conditioners. Through-the-wall units go through the home’s exterior wall, while room air conditioners are installed inside the house.
Wall – Wall units come in both through-the-wall and window styles mounted on concrete walls or wood studs. These units are best suited for homes with many windows since there is no need to worry about proper ventilation around these models.
Basement/Crawl space/Attic – If your home does not have a central heating system, then you should consider installing an attic unit because it will help heat your home during colder months of the year. This type of installation also provides better efficiency than traditional wall units that cool rooms more quickly at first but lose their effectiveness over time. They cycle on and off frequently throughout summer when temperatures remain relatively moderate.
Preparing Your Home For Air Conditioner Installation
Once you have chosen the right air conditioner and installation location, it is time to prepare your Irving, TX home for the installation process. Some of the things you will need to do include:
- Choose an installation day – Pick a day when nobody will be home, so you are free to move around the house as needed.
- Turn off your power supply – If you have not already done so, turn off all electrical breakers before installing air conditioner units to prevent accidents or injuries.
- Remove window treatments – Air conditioners must have direct access to the outside to function properly, so window treatments like curtains or blinds should be removed before the installation begins.
- Disable security systems – If your home has a security system that utilizes door or window contacts, you will need to disable these devices during the AC installation.
- Move furniture – You may need to move furniture around the area where the unit will be installed, such as couches, tables, and beds. This step is crucial for through-the-wall units because it allows workers to install new lines that feed into the unit outside of your home during the installation process.
Pets should be kept in a kennel or another room away from the installation area. This is for their safety and prevents them from getting underfoot during the installation process.
The Air Conditioner Installation Process
Once your home is ready for air conditioner installation, workers will begin the process by:
- Checking the electrical wiring – Workers will inspect your home’s electrical wiring to make sure it can handle the load of a new air conditioner unit. If there are any concerns, they may suggest having an electrician come out to make some upgrades before installing the AC unit.
- Installing window units – Window units are typically easy to install and do not require additional construction work like through-the-wall and attic units.
- Installing through-the-wall and attic units – These types of air conditioners require a bit more construction work, such as cutting a hole in the exterior wall or roof of your home to accommodate the unit.
- Connecting the AC unit to your home’s electrical system – Once the unit is installed, workers will connect it to your home’s electrical wiring and test all components to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Final steps – After the installation is complete, there may be some final steps, such as adjusting window and door seals or cleaning up any messes made during installation. Make sure you ask workers about what needs to be done before leaving your home.
Once your new air conditioner is installed, be sure to take some time to read the owner’s manual and learn how to use and maintain your new unit properly. Air conditioners are an essential part of keeping your home comfortable during the hot Irving, TX summer months, so it is essential to make sure you are using them safely and effectively.
When Is The Best Time For An Air Conditioner Installation?
The best time for air conditioner installation is when temperatures are consistently reaching dangerous levels. If you wait too long, your home could become uncomfortable or even unsafe to live in during the summer months, so it is important not to procrastinate if possible.
Why Should I Choose A Variable Speed Air Conditioner?
Variable speed ACs offer significant benefits over single-speed models because they can adjust airflow and cooling power based on changes in humidity and outside temperature conditions. They can also help lower energy costs by adjusting the unit’s performance level according to these factors within a matter of seconds as opposed to conventional systems that have an average response rate of 30 minutes – which means more savings on utility bills!
What Should I Do If My Home Isn’t Cooling Properly After My AC Installation?
If your home is not cooling properly after your AC installation, there are a few things you can do:
- Check to make sure all registers and vents are open and free of debris
- Make sure your thermostat is set to “cool” and that the fan is set to “auto”
- Check your condenser’s airflow – if it isn’t cool enough, you will need to have a professional reexamine your installation
How Can I Prevent My Air Conditioner From Becoming Too Dirty?
One of the best ways to prevent an air conditioner from getting excessively dirty is having an AC maintenance service come out twice per year. This helps keep dust and other debris from building up inside the unit, preventing overheating during operation. It also ensures optimal performance when in use so that you do not waste energy or money cooling a home that doesn’t stay cool due to a lack of upkeep on your system over time.
How Much Does An Air Conditioner Installation Cost?
Air conditioner installation costs can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of AC unit, the size, and complexity of the installation, and any additional construction work required. It is best to consult with a professional installer to get a more accurate quote for your specific needs.
What are some common signs that my HVAC system needs maintenance or repairs? If any of these things happen after installing a new air conditioning system:
- Your bill skyrockets more than usual during the summer months
- The performance is not up to par compared to other homes in your area
- You notice a strange smell coming from the vents or the air conditioner itself, which may indicate mold inside your unit
- The air conditioner makes odd noises when in use – this may indicate debris inside the unit, and it needs to be serviced by an HVAC professional immediately.
What Are Some Common Causes Of Air Conditioner Failure?
Typical air conditioner failure causes include dirty filters, blocked condenser coils, low refrigerant levels, and electrical problems. If your AC is not functioning correctly, it is essential to have it serviced by a professional to pinpoint the cause of the problem and determine a solution.
How Long Does Air Conditioner Installation Take?
This can vary based on factors such as the type, size, location, and complexity of your home’s central AC unit. In general, though, it should only take half a day to a full day for an experienced team with all the necessary equipment to complete this job correctly. When in doubt about how long you need to plan for someone to remain at your property working – ask!
What Can I Expect From My New AC Installation?
A properly installed AC unit should provide you with years of uninterrupted, efficient cooling service. It is essential to have regular maintenance done on your system to ensure that it runs optimally and does not experience any problems that could lead to a breakdown. In addition, if you notice any issues after the installation has been completed, be sure to contact the installer so they can remedy the situation as soon as possible.
Why You Need Professional Air Conditioner Installation
While it is possible to install an air conditioner on your own, it is always best to have a professional do the job. A professional will ensure that the unit is installed correctly and ventilated so that you can enjoy years of efficient cooling performance from your new air conditioner. In addition, many homeowners insurance policies require a licensed contractor to perform any electrical work in the home, including air conditioning installation. So, while hiring a professional may cost more initially, it can save you money in the long run.
How to Find a Reputable Air Conditioner Installation Contractor in Irving, TX
While professional air conditioner installation is beneficial, it is essential to be careful when choosing the right one for you. Here are a few tips for finding an experienced contractor:
- Ask friends and family members if they’ve ever used such a company before – this will help narrow down your choices considerably as well as give you peace of mind knowing someone has vetted them already.
- Look up reviews online from previous customers – ask about their overall customer service experience and satisfaction with the quality of work done by looking at individual review posts on sites like Yelp or Google+ Local.
- Find out how long they have been in business locally – new start-up businesses may not be reliable enough. Still, established ones can offer years of positive experience working together with homeowners in the area.
- Read over their warranty policies – You should also inquire about any guarantees or warranties offered by the company so that if there are any problems with your new AC unit down the road, you will be able to have it fixed at no additional cost. These should cover any defects in materials or labor that may arise after project completion. A reasonable timeframe is two years, but you can always request longer if they are willing to give it!
- Licensing – All air conditioner installation contractors in the state of Texas must be licensed. You can check to see if the company you are considering is licensed by visiting the State of Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation website.
Once you have a few companies in mind, be sure to ask for quotes and compare them before making your final decision
Exceptional Air Conditioner Installation Irving, TX
When it comes time for air conditioner installation in Irving, TX – don’t forget One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Dallas! We offer experienced professionals who will work diligently to get the job done quickly and efficiently so that you can start enjoying tremendous relief from the summer heat as soon as possible. Give us a call today!